Two large, rare sculptures of Ptolemy I Soter and Cleopatra on ornamental trapezoid bases. - image-1
Two large, rare sculptures of Ptolemy I Soter and Cleopatra on ornamental trapezoid bases. - image-2
Two large, rare sculptures of Ptolemy I Soter and Cleopatra on ornamental trapezoid bases. - image-1Two large, rare sculptures of Ptolemy I Soter and Cleopatra on ornamental trapezoid bases. - image-2

Lot 924 Dα

Two large, rare sculptures of Ptolemy I Soter and Cleopatra on ornamental trapezoid bases.

Auction 1039 - overview Cologne
14.11.2014, 14:30 - Porcelain, Ceramics, and Furniture
Estimate: 36.000 € - 40.000 €
Result: 44.640 € (incl. premium)

Two large, rare sculptures of Ptolemy I Soter and Cleopatra on ornamental trapezoid bases.

Formed from painted wood, ivory, silver, gilding, enamel, metal and mother-of-pearl. Cracks to the ivory, old restorations to the wooden elements. Each H 59, on base 85.5 cm.
Probably Russian, 2nd half 19th C.

The statue of Ptolemy I Soter, the general thought to be the founder of the library of Alexandria, is probably based on a work by Mariette.

This lot contains materials which require a CITES licence for export outside of EU contract territory. We would like to inform you that such licences are usually not granted.