English 15th century - A 15th century English carved oak relief of Richard I and his retinue - image-1

Lot 1305 Dα

English 15th century - A 15th century English carved oak relief of Richard I and his retinue

Auction 1141 - overview Cologne
16.11.2019, 14:30 - Sculpture and Works of Art
Estimate: 60.000 € - 80.000 €

English 15th century

A 15th century English carved oak relief of Richard I and his retinue

Carved from two blocks and attached in the middle. Minimal remains of polychromy. Finely carved high relief in a smooth surround depicting the King seated in the centre accompanied by two pages, two courtly ladies, a bishop, and a knight. The figures are flanked by an architectural border with rich late Gothic ornament. The shield supported by the page depicts a lion rampant, which allows us to identify the king as Richard the Lionheart (1157-1199), who ruled as King Richard I of England from 1189-1199 and went down in history as an ideal king and knight. The relief is designed for a slightly lowered viewpoint and may have originally formed part of a choir stall.
A small loss to the king's crown, a horizontal crack to the lower section. Otherwise in good condition. Stabilised with three metal bands on the reverse. 66 x 136 x 4 cm.

Provenance

Auctioned by Sotheby´s (early 1970s). - Private collection, Württemberg.