A pair of George I silver gilt strawberry dishes - image-1
A pair of George I silver gilt strawberry dishes - image-2
A pair of George I silver gilt strawberry dishes - image-3
A pair of George I silver gilt strawberry dishes - image-4
A pair of George I silver gilt strawberry dishes - image-1A pair of George I silver gilt strawberry dishes - image-2A pair of George I silver gilt strawberry dishes - image-3A pair of George I silver gilt strawberry dishes - image-4

Lot 516 Dα

A pair of George I silver gilt strawberry dishes

Auction 1220 - overview Cologne
19.05.2023, 10:00 - Silver Porcelain Faience
Estimate: 12.000 € - 14.000 €

A pair of George I silver gilt strawberry dishes

Deep, scalloped dishes engraved to the centres with the coat-of-arms of the United Kingdom with the Order of the Garter and the motto "HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE" beneath the Imperial State Crown and above the motto of the British monarchs "DIEU ET MON DROIT". H 3.3; diameter 22.7 cm, weight 480 and 396 g.
London, marks of Jacob Margas, 1720.

Plates like these with the Royal coat of arms were usually given to diplomats and holders of high public offices. The present pair was given to the lawyer Sir Brook Bridges, 1st Baronet Bridges of Goodnestone (1679 - 1728), a member of the Honourable Society of the Middle Temple from 1713 and a Fellow of the Royal Society from 1726.

Provenance

Sir Brook Bridges, 1st Baronet; Coll. Lord Fitzwalter, Goodnestone, Kent; Koopman Rare Art, London 2015; North German private collection.